Nickelodeon’s Orange Blimp took fans on a virtual ride around the world and beyond at this year’s Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021. Hosted by Kenan Thompson (Kenan, Saturday Night Live), the KCAs featured show-stopping performances by Grammy® Award-winning global superstar Justin Bieber, celebrity appearances, exciting surprises and the net’s signature green slime, and revealed kids’ favourite tv shows, movies, music and more. The show will broadcast on NickToons (DStv Channel 308) Monday, 15 March 2021 at 16:30 WAT and repeat on Nickelodeon (DStv channel 305) on Wednesday, 17 March at 14:05 WAT.
Nigeria’s comedy star, Emanuella Samuel, known as Emanuella has – by public voting – emerged the winner of the “Favourite African Social Media Star” category at the Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021. Emanuella was nominated alongside Nigerian comedy group – Ikorodu bois, South African Magician – Wian Van Den Berg; Ugandan Youth Dance Group – Ghetto Kids, Kenyan social media sensation – Elsa Majimbo, and South African media personality – Bonang Matheba.
From starring in a viral comedy skit “This is not my real face o” on Mark Angel YouTube Channel – brimming with over six million subscribers, Emanuella has gone on to win several awards on big stages. At this year’s Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021, she now gets to add a well-deserved orange blimp to her growing collection of internationally recognised awards.
Speaking on this year’s African talents who emerged as winners, Monde Twala, Senior Vice President & GM ViacomCBS networks Africa commented, “Africa is indisputably brimming with talent, and it is such a huge feat to witness two young, talented and inspiring female winners from Nigeria and Uganda emerge triumphantly at the Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021!.
At ViacomCBS Networks Africa, we are deeply vested in showcasing African talent on the world stage across our platforms. The youth generation contribute significantly to bringing kids hope, enthusiasm and courage to kids across the continent,” he concluded.
The ecstatic Favourite African Star winner Mo Salah commented, “It is great to be nominated for the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards and it’s more amazing to have won the Favourite African Star Award, thank you everyone for voting for me and remember to stay safe.”
Expressing her delight at receiving the Award, Emanuella said, “I am so happy to be a winner, thank you! To all my fans out there, [I say] thank you. To all those who voted for me, I love you so much, this win would not have been possible without you”. The young star also took the opportunity to urge viewers not to “forget to stay safe”. “Always stay at home and remember to clean your hands with alcohol-based hand sanitisers. We love you so much”, she added.
Uganda’s Vanessa Nakate, who was recognised with the Africa Together For Good’ award, for her efforts in promoting climate justice pledged to “continue educating the society about the effects of climate change”.
In the Favourite African Star category, Liverpool Football Club soccer star Mo Salah (Egypt) was nominated alongside his teammate, Sadio Mane (Senegal), Miss Universe Zozibini Tunzi (South Africa), actress Thuso Mbedu (South Africa), philanthropist and Springbok Rugby Captain Siya Kolisi (South Africa), and Sheebah Karungi leading dancer and songstress (Uganda).
The internationally acclaimed Jerusalema hitmaker MasterKG (South Africa) was nominated in the Global Music Star category, representing African music.
The Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021 will air live on Monday 15 March at 16:30pm WAT on NickToons (DSTV Channel 308) and reruns on Nickelodeon (DStv channel 305) on Wednesday, 17 March at 14:05pm WAT.
Other major highlights from Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021 include:
- Special remarks from Vice President of the United States Kamala Harris, introduced by actress Jennifer Garner, as part of the show’s Generation Change presentation, which recognized kids’ strength and courage to create a better world for future generations;
- Performances by Grammy® Award-winning global superstar Justin Bieber of his chart-topping hit “Intentions,” joined by Quavo and introduced by Hailey Bieber; and a medley of his latest singles, “Hold On” and “Anyone;”
- The reunion of Nickelodeon’s iCarly cast members Miranda Cosgrove (Carly Shay), Jerry Trainor (Spencer Shay) and Nathan Kress (Freddie Benson) as they presented the KCA for “Favorite Movie;”
- An exclusive sneak peek clip of PAW Patrol: The Movie, teased by members of the voice cast, Kim Kardashian, Tyler Perry, Yara Shahidi and Marsai Martin;
- Outrageous and epic slimings of Robert Downey Jr., Charli D’Amelio, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Liza Koshy, as well as KCA host, Kenan Thompson;
- Setting a Guinness World Record for the most simultaneous slimings;
- Live and interactive fan walls showcasing families at home, with a special KCA award presented to one lucky family that was chosen during the show;
- And celebrity appearances from Gal Gadot, Millie Bobby Brown, BTS, AddisonRae, Sofía Vergara, David Dobrik, Tiffany Haddish, Anna Kendrick, Dove Cameron, Heidi Klum, Terry Crews, Dixie D’Amelio, Finn Wolfhard, Noah Schnapp, Gaten Matarazzo, Joshua Bassett, Anthony Anderson, Dani & Dannah Lane and Iain Armitage; as well as Nickelodeon stars: JoJo Siwa; That Girl Lay Lay; Jules LeBlanc and Jayden Bartels (Side Hustle); Gabrielle Nevaeh Green and Darci Lynne (Unfiltered); and Young Dylan (Tyler Perry’s Young Dylan).
Full winners list from Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021:
FAVOURITE AFRICAN SOCIAL MEDIA STAR
TOGETHER FOR GOOD (AFRICA)
FAVOURITE AFRICAN STAR
FAVORITE KIDS TV SHOW
Alexa & Katie
FAVORITE FAMILY TV SHOW
FAVORITE REALITY SHOW
America’s Got Talent
FAVORITE ANIMATED SERIES
FAVORITE FEMALE TV STAR
Millie Bobby Brown
FAVORITE MALE TV STAR
Wonder Woman 1984
FAVORITE MOVIE ACTRESS
Millie Bobby Brown
FAVORITE MOVIE ACTOR
Robert Downey Jr.
FAVORITE ANIMATED MOVIE
FAVORITE VOICE FROM AN ANIMATED MOVIE
FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST
FAVORITE MALE ARTIST
FAVORITE MUSIC GROUP
FAVORITE MUSIC COLLABORATION
“Stuck with U” – Ariana Grande & Justin Bieber
“Dynamite” – BTS
FAVORITE GLOBAL MUSIC STAR
FAVORITE FEMALE SOCIAL STAR
FAVORITE MALE SOCIAL STAR
FAVORITE FEMALE SPORTS STAR
FAVORITE MALE SPORTS STAR
FAVORITE VIDEO GAME
Sponsors of Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2021 include Barbie®, Goldfish® Flavor Blasted® crackers, got milk?, LEGO® VIDIYO™, Olive Garden®, and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury.